Holika Puja Vidhi as collected from various religious texts
Holika Dahan Time for Other Cities
Holi Puja Vidhi
Holi Puja Vidhi
In religious books, Holika Puja is suggested before Holika Dahan. Holika Dahan should be done at an appropriate time after consulting Hindu Panchang. It is important to perform Holika Dahan at the right time as doing it at the wrong time might bring misfortune and suffering. Please visit Holika Dahan Muhurat to know the appropriate time of Holika Dahan for your city.
Puja SamagriThe following Samagri or materials should be used for Puja: One bowl of water, beads made of cow dung, Roli, rice which are not broken (also called Akshat in Sanskrit), fragrances like Agarbatti and Dhoop, flowers, raw cotton thread, turmeric pieces, unbroken lentil of Moong, Batasha, Gulal powder and coconut. Also, fully grown grains of freshly cultivated crops like wheat and gram can be included in the Puja items.
Holika SthapanaThe place where Holika is kept is rinsed with cow dung and the holy water of Ganges. A wooden pole is kept in the center and surrounded with beads or garlands of toys made of cow dung which are popularly known as Gulari, Bharbholiye or Badkula. Idols of Holika and Prahlada usually made of cow dung are placed on the top of the heap. Holika pile is decorated with shields, swords, sun, moon, stars and other toys made of cow dung.
During Holika Dahan, idol of Prahlada is taken out. Also four beads of cow dung are kept safe before bonfire. One is kept safe in the name of ancestors, second in the name of God Hanuman, third in name of Goddess Sheetala and fourth in the name of the family.
Holika is getting burned after Puja
Puja VidhiWe have listed down Mantra in Sanskrit and along with that we have explained the essence of those Mantras. If one is not able to chant those Mantras, then one can chant them in his own language with the same spirit.
- Keep all Puja ingredients in a plate. Accompany a small water pot with Puja Thali. While on the Puja spot, sit down such that either facing the East or the North direction. After that sprinkle some water on the Puja Thali and yourself while chanting following Mantra thrice.ऊँ पुण्डरीकाक्ष: पुनातु। x 3Above Mantra is to remember Lord Vishnu and seek his blessings before starting any auspicious work. It is also done to purify the place of worship.
- Now take the water, rice, flower and some money in the right hand and take Sankalp.ऊँ विष्णु: विष्णु: विष्णु: श्रीमद्भगवतो महापुरुषस्य विष्णोराज्ञया अद्य दिवसे ________ (संवत्सर का नाम लें e.g. विश्वावसु) नाम संवत्सरे संवत् ________ (e.g. 2069) फाल्गुन मासे शुभे शुक्लपक्षे पूर्णिमायां शुभ तिथि ________ (e.g. मंगलवासरे) ________ गौत्र (अपने गौत्र का नाम लें) उत्पन्ना ________ (अपने नाम का उच्चारण करें) मम इह जन्मनि जन्मान्तरे वा सर्वपापक्षयपूर्वक दीर्घायुविपुलधनधान्यं शत्रुपराजय मम् दैहिक दैविक भौतिक त्रिविध ताप निवृत्यर्थं सदभीष्टसिद्धयर्थे प्रह्लादनृसिंहहोली इत्यादीनां पूजनमहं करिष्यामि।By chanting above Mantra, one is reciting currently prevailing Hindu date, place of worship, his family surname and his name, including purpose of Puja and to whom Puja is offered, so that all the benefits of Puja are targeted to the worshipper.
- Now remember Lord Ganesha after taking flower and rice in the right hand. The Mantra to chant while remembering Lord Ganesha is -गजाननं भूतगणादिसेवितं कपित्थजम्बूफलचारुभक्षणम्।While reciting above Mantra, apply Roli and rice on a flower and offer it along with fragrance to Lord Ganesha.
उमासुतं शोकविनाशकारकं नमामि विघ्नेश्वरपादपमजम्।।
ऊँ गं गणपतये नम: पंचोपचारार्थे गंधाक्षतपुष्पाणि समर्पयामि।
- After worshipping Lord Ganesha, remember Goddess Ambika and chant following Mantra. While reciting below Mantra, applying Roli and rice on a flower and offer it along with fragrance to Goddess Ambika.ऊँ अम्बिकायै नम: पंचोपचारार्थे गंधाक्षतपुष्पाणि सर्मपयामि।।
- Now remember Lord Narasimha by chanting following Mantra. While reciting below Mantra, applying Roli and rice on a flower and offer it along with fragrance to Lord Narasimha.ऊँ नृसिंहाय नम: पंचोपचारार्थे गंधाक्षतपुष्पाणि समर्पयामि।।
- Now remember devotee Prahlada and chant following Mantra. While reciting below Mantra, applying Roli and rice on a flower and offer it along with fragrance to devotee Prahlada.ऊँ प्रह्लादाय नम: पंचोपचारार्थे गंधाक्षतपुष्पाणि समर्पयामि।।
- Now stand in front of Holi with folded hands and request to fulfill your wishes while chanting following Mantra.असृक्पाभयसंत्रस्तै: कृता त्वं होलि बालिशै:It means that some foolish and childish people, due to constant fear of blood sucking demons, created Holika. Hence, I worship you and seek power, wealth and prosperity for myself.
अतस्त्वां पूजयिष्यामि भूते भूतिप्रदा भव:।।
- Offer rice, fragrances, flower, unbreakable Moong lentil, turmeric pieces, coconut and Bharbholiye (garland made of dried cow dung which is also known as Gulari and Badkula) to Holika. Three, five or seven rounds of raw yarn are tied around the Holika while circumambulating it. After that empty the water pot in front of Holika pile.
- Holika is burnt after that. Usually, the fire from the public bonfire is brought home to burn Holika. After that, all men wear auspicious mark of Roli and take blessings from elders. People circumambulate Holika and offer new crops to the bonfire and roast them. The roasted grains are distributed as Holika Prasad.
Other links related to Holi