Ghatasthapana Puja Vidhi | Puja Vidhi to start Navratri
- Shardiya Maha Navratri
- Ashadha Gupta Navratri
- Chaitra Rama Navratri
- Magha Gupta Navratri
- Navratri 9 colors
- About Navratri
Ghatasthapana Puja Vidhi during Navratri
Ghatasthapana TimeGhatasthapana is one of the significant rituals during Navratri. It marks the beginning of nine days festivity. Our scriptures have well defined rules and guidelines to perform Ghatasthapana during a certain period of time at the beginning of Navratri. Ghatasthapana is invocation of Goddess Shakti and doing it wrong time, as our scriptures forewarn, might bring wrath of the Goddess Shakti. Ghatasthapana is prohibited during Amavasya and night time.
The most auspicious or Shubh time to do Ghatasthapana is first one third of the day while Pratipada is prevailing. If due to some reasons this time is not available then Ghatasthapana can be done during Abhijit Muhurta. It is advised to avoid Nakshatra Chitra and Vaidhriti Yoga during Ghatasthapana but those are not prohibited. The most important factor to consider is that Ghatasthapana is done before Hindu midday while Pratipada is prevailing.
Hence please note down the city based Ghatasthapana Time after setting the location for your city.
- Wide and open Clay Potto sow Sapta Dhanya
- Clean Soilto sow Sapta Dhanya
- Small clay or brass Pitcher
- Sacred water to fill the Kalash or Ganga Jal
- Sacred thread / Moli / Kalaya
- Supari(betel nuts)
- Coinsto put into the Kalash
- 5 leavesof Ashoka or Mango tree
- A Lidto cover the Kalash
- Raw Riceor unbroken rice known as Akshat (अक्षत) to put in the lid
- Unpeeled Coconut
- Red Clothto warp coconut
- Flowers and Garlandpreferably marigold
Kalash PreparationKalash is prepared before invoking the Goddess and other Gods into it.
Step 1 - First take the wide clay pot (the one which would be used to keep the Kalash) to sow the grains. Spread the first layer of the soil into the pot and then spread the grain seeds. Now add the second layer of the soil and grains. In second layer grains should be spread near the periphery of the pot. Now spread the third and final layer of the soil into the pot. If needed add little water to the pot to set the soil.
Step 2 - Now tie the sacred thread on the neck of the Kalash and fill it up with the holy water up to the neck. Drop Supari, scent, Durva grass, Akshat and coins into the water. Keep 5 leaves of Ashoka at the edge of the Kalash before covering it with a lid.
Step 3 – Now take the un-peeled coconut and wrap it inside the red cloth. Fasten the coconut and red cloth with the sacred thread.
Now keep the coconut on top of the Kalash prepared in step 2. At last put the Kalash in the center on the grain pot prepared in step 1. Now we have Kalash ready to invoke Goddess Durga into it.
Invoke Goddess DurgaNow invoke Goddess Durga and request Her to accept your prayers and to oblige you by residing into the Kalash for nine days.
Panchopachara PujaAs name suggests, Panchopachara Puja (पंचोपचार पूजा) is done with five Puja items. First show the lamp to the Kalash and all deities invoked in it. After lamp offering, light Dhoop sticks and offer it to the Kalash, followed by flowers and scent. Finally offer Naivedhya (नैवेद्य) i.e. fruits and sweets to the Kalash to conclude Panchopachara Puja.
Other links related to Goddess Durga
- Durga Puja brief introduction on Durga Puja
- Ghatasthapana auspicious time for Kalash Sthapana
- Durga Puja Calendar list of all events during five days Puja
- Navratri Calendar with 9 different colors of Navratri
- Sandhi Puja Timings with Sandhi Puja Muhurata and duration
- Vijayadashami the culmination of 9 days Durga Puja festivity
- Ayudha Puja the day of Shastra Puja or Astra Puja
- 9 Navpatrika Leaves list of 9 leaves used during Durga Puja
- Durga Aarti lyrics of Ambe Tu Hai Jagadambe Kali
- Durga Chalisa 40 verse prayer of Goddess Durga
- Goddess Durga 108 names Ashtottara Shatanamavali of Durga
- Durga Saptashati list of Devi Mahatmya all chapters
- Navdurga 9 Goddesses of Navratri
- Dasha Mahavidhya 10 forms of Shakti
- Durga Puja Greetings e-greetings and e-cards for Durga Puja
- Navratri Greetings e-greetings and e-cards for Navratri
- Bengali Rangoli beautiful Alpana Designs of Bengal
- Sapta Dhanya 7 grains during Navratri
- Pushpanjali offering flowers with Mantra during Durgotsav
- Dhunuchi Dance along with the rhythmic beats of Dhak
- Durga Puja Vidhi Shodashopachara Durga Puja during Navratri