Hanuman Jayanti - the birth anniversary of Lord Hanuman
Lord Hanuman with Mata Anjana
There is no consensus on the exact day of Hanuman Jayanti in Hindu calendar. Hence, the day to observe Hanuman Jayanti varies as per regional beliefs. However, Chaitra Purnima is the widely accepted day in most North Indian states to observe the birth anniversary of Lord Hanuman.
Hanuman Jayanti Origin | SignificanceLord Hanuman is an ardent devotee of Lord Rama and He is the central figure of Hindu epic Ramayana. Hence the origin of the birth anniversary of Lord Hanuman goes back to Era of Lord Rama. Hence, it is difficult to find the exact time of Hanuman Jayanti as it is getting observed since ages (as per some unconfirmed records Lord Hanuman was born approximately 1 crore and 85 lakhs years before).
It is believed that Lord Hanuman was born during Chaitra Purnima just after sunrise on weekday Mangalwar. He was born during Chitra Nakshatra and Mesha Lagna.
Hanuman Jayanti Deity(s)Lord Hanuman is the main deity who is worshipped on the day of Hanuman Jayanti.
Hanuman Jayanti Date and TimeAs per Amanta as well as Purnimanta Hindu Calendar -
Purnima (the full moon day) of Chaitra (1st month)
Hanuman Jayanti Observance
- a day long fast on Hanuman Jayanti
- Shodashopachara Hanuman Puja
- visiting Hanuman temple
- offering Sindoor i.e. red vermilion to Lord Hanuman
Hanuman Jayanti Regional Variance
- Hanuman Jayanti in North India - In most North Indian states, Hanuman Jayanti is observed during Chaitra Purnima.
- Hanuman Jayanti in Tamil Nadu - In Tamil Nadu, Hanuman Jayanti is observed as Hanumath Jayanthi and observed during Margashirsha Amavasya.
- Hanuman Jayanti in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana - In Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, Hanuman Jayanthi is observed for 41-days which starts on Chaitra Purnima and ends on the tenth day during Krishna Paksha in Vaishakha month. In Andhra Pradesh devotees begin 41-days Deeksha on Chaitra Purnima and conclude it on Hanuman Jayanthi day.
- Hanuman Jayanti in Karnataka - In Karnataka, Hanuman Jayanti is observed on Shukla Paksha Trayodashi during Margashirsha month. The day is popularly known as Hanuman Vratam.
- Hanuman Jayanti in Orissa - In Orissa, Hanuman Jayanti is observed during Vishubha Sankranti which is also known as Mesha Sankranti in other calendars.
Hanuman Jayanti Similar Festivals
Other links related to Lord Hanuman
- Lord Hanuman know about the Mahavira and Bajrangbali
- Hanuman Aarti Aarti Kije Hanuman Lala Ki
- Hanuman Chalisa Jai Hanuman Gyan Gun Sagar
- Hanuman Jayanti The birth anniversary of God Hanuman
- Tamil Hanumath Jayanthi Hanuman Jayanti as per Tamil Calendar
- 108 Hanuman Names Ashtottara Shatanamavali of God Hanuman