Some of the most noteworthy Gurus and Saints of Buddhism, Jainism and Hinduism
Gurus and Saints
Hindu Gurus and Saints
List of Gurus and Saints
- Shankaracharya - Adi Shankara (788-820 C.E.), along with Madhva and Ramanuja, was instrumental in the revival of Hinduism.
- Mahavir - Mahavir (599-527 B.C.), also known as Vardhamana, established core tenets of Jainism. Mahavir was the 24th and the last Jain sage.
- Ramanuja - Sri Ramanuja Acharya (1017-1137 C.E.) was great Hindu philosopher and thinker. He is the most venerated Acharya in the philosophy of Sri Vaishnavism.
- Gautama Buddha - Gautama Buddha (563-483 B.C.) was a spiritual teacher from the Indian subcontinent, on whose teachings Buddhism was founded.
- Madhvacharya - Sri Madhvacharya (1238-1317 C.E.) was the proponent of Dvaita Vedanta which is also known as Tattvavada - the Philosophy of Reality.
- Jhulelal - Jhulelal Jayanti day is celebrated as Cheti Chand by Sindhi people of Pakistan and India and it is celebrated one day after Ugadi.
- Maharishi Valmiki - Maharshi Valmiki was a great sage who wrote the epic Ramayana in Sanskrit which consists of 24k verses and 7 cantos including the Uttara canto.
- Sant Kabirdas - Sant Kabirdas (1440-1518 circa) was a famous poet, saint and social reformer of India.
- Tulsidas - Tulsidas (1497-1623 C.E.) was a Hindu saint and the poet. Tulsidas is renowned for his great devotion towards Lord Rama.
- Kavi Surdas - Surdas (1478-1581 C.E.) was a great poet and musician known for his devotional songs dedicated to Lord Krishna.
- Tailang Swami - Tailang Swami (1607-1887 C.E.) was a great Hindu Yogi who has divine powers.
- Ramakrishna - Ramakrishna (1836-1886 C.E.) was a famous Saint in the 19th century India.
- Guru Ravidas - Guru Ravidas (1377-1527 C.E.) was a famous saint of the Bhakti Movement.
- Vallabhacharya - Vallabhacharya (1479-1531 C.E.) was a devotional philosopher, who founded the Pushti sect in India.
- Guru Nanak - Guru Nanak (1469-1539 C.E.) was the founder of the religion of Sikhism and the first of the Sikh Gurus.
- Guru Gobind Singh - Guru Gobind Singh (1666-1708 C.E.) was the tenth Guru out of total eleven Sikh Gurus.
- Meerabai - Meerabai (1498-1547 circa) was a great Hindu poet and ardent devotee of Lord Krishna.
- Chaitanya Mahaprabhu - Chaitanya Mahaprabhu (1486-1534 C.E.) was a great spiritual teacher and the founder of Gaudiya Vaishnavism. The followers of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu are known as Gaudiya Vaishnava(s).