Following is the list of most famous and popular Malayalam Festivals in Kerala, India.
List of Malayalam Festivals
Prominent Malayalam Festivals
List of important Malayalam festivals with brief description which are based on Malayalam Solar Calendar.
- Onam - Onam is a Hindu festival celebrated by the people of Kerala. Onam is Malayali festival which is celebrated by native speakers of Malayalam.
- Vishu Kani - Mesha Sankranthi is celebrated as Vishu in the Indian state of Kerala. Vishu is not traditionally celebrated as New Year in the Malayalam Calendar.
- Ashtami Rohini - In Kerala, Sri Krishna Jayanti is known as Ashtami Rohini. It is celebrated as birthday of Lord Krishna.
- Malayalam New Year - The first day of Chingam month in Malayalam calendar is observed as Malayalam New Year.
- Mandala Pooja - Mandala Pooja is the last day of 41 days long austerity observed by devotees of Lord Ayyappa.
- Vinayaka Chaturthi - In Kerala, Vinayaka Chaturthi is celebrated in Chingam Masam during Shukla Paksha Chaturthi and might fall in Shravana month.
- Vidyarambham - On the next day of Saraswati Puja children between the age of 4 and 5 go through Vidyarambham ceremony.
- Attukal Pongala - Attukal Pongala is a famous Malayalam festival celebrated annually at Attukal Bhagavathy temple.
- Thrissur Pooram - Thrissur Pooram is a Malayalam festival celebrated annually at Vadakkunnathan temple in Thrissur.
- Makaravilakku - Makaravilakku is one of the most important festivals at Sabarimala Temple in Kerala.
- Mandalakala Begins - The 40 days long austerity period of Mandala Pooja, for Sabarimala Ayyappa temple, begins from the first day of Vrishchikam Masam.
- Guruvayur Ekadasi - Vrishchikam Shukla Paksha Ekadasi is known as Guruvayur Ekadasi. This Ekadasi is observed at the famous Shri Krishna Temple at Guruvayur in Kerala.