Lord Vishnu – the Preserver and the Protector of the Universe
Lord Vishnu is the supreme god of the Vaishnava Sampradaya.
Lord Vishnu FamilyThe wife of Lord Vishnu is Goddess Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth and prosperity. It is believed that the Goddess Lakshmi resides in the heart of Lord Vishnu and devotees who worship Lord Vishnu are also blessed with the wealth and prosperity.
As per South Indian traditions, Shridevi and Bhoomadevi are the two consorts of Lord Vishnu. Hence, in few images, Lord Vishnu is flanked by two consorts.
Lord Vishnu resides in Kshir Sagar, the milky ocean. Lord Vishnu rests on the couch made of the serpent Sheshnag. The lotus, the beloved flower of Goddess Lakshmi, originates from the navel of Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma mounts on the same flower.
Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi have 18 sons, named Devasakha, Chiklita, Ananda, Kardama, Shriprada, Jataveda, Anuraga, Samvada, Vijaya, Vallabha, Mada, Harsha, Bala, Teja, Damaka, Salila, Guggula, Kuruntaka.
Lord Vishnu Festivals and Vrats
Lord Vishnu MantraOne of His most important Mool Mantra-
ॐ नमोः नारायणाय। ॐ नमोः भगवते वासुदेवाय॥
Om Namoh Narayanaya। Om Namoh Bhagavate Vasudevaya॥
Lord Vishnu Incarnations and SwaroopThere are 10 popular incarnations of Lord Vishnu which are popularly known as Dashavatara.
- Adi Purush Avatar - pre-eminent man
- Sanat Kumar – Brahma Manasa Putra
- Varaha Avatar - boar incarnation
- Narada Avatar
- Nara Narayana Avatar
- Kapila Avatar
- Dattatreya Avatar - Datta incarnation
- Yajna (यज्ञ) Avatar – Yajna born to Prajapati and Akuti
- Rishabha Avatar – Rishabhadeva Avatar
- Prithu Avatar
- Matsya Avatar – fish incarnation
- Kurma Avatar or Kachchhap Avatar – tortoise incarnation
- Dhanvantari Avatar – the Lord of medicine
- Mohini Avatar – incarnation as a most enchanting woman
- Narasimha Avatar – incarnation in the form of half-man and half-lion
- Hayagriva Avatar – incarnation with horse face
- Vamana Avatar – incarnation as a dwarf
- Parashurama Avatar
- Vyasa Avatar – Veda Vyasa incarnation
- Shri Rama Avatar
- Balarama Avatar
- Shri Krishna Avatar
- Buddha Avatar
- Kalki Avatar – Lord Vishnu will be incarnated as Kalki at the end of the Kaliyuga
Lord Vishnu Temples
- Padmanabhaswamy Temple, Thiruvananthapuram
- Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, Srirangam
- Jagannath Temple, Puri
- Badrinath Temple, Badrinath
- Dashavatara Temple, Deogarh